A tall redhaired german moving to Madison, Wisconsin? Now that could develop into an interesting story, ay?! Any resemblance of the blog title to movie titles is fully intentional :)

Saturday, July 29, 2006

The ports of heaven ...

... opened and poured about a gadzillion of liters of water onto Madison, especially downtown and the Campus area. After like 15 minutes or so, the sewers couldn't take it anymore and spilled out water instead of draining it. Streets became rivers, parking lots became duck ponds and some poor peoples appartments became fishtanks as they submerged completely. Here's a couple of shots "borrowed" from the local newspaper as I didn't have my camera with me.

The parking lot of an appartment block. I walk past this place every day on my way to UW.

This intersection is in 5 min walking distance from my house.

At the back of the UW police station, about 5 min walking distance from the Biochemistry building.

Our Institute got hit pretty bad as well ... honestly, I had never seen a flooded elevator before ;) But that was not a big deal compared to the sub basement that had 5 inches of water standing there. Sub basement, huh? Doesn't sound so serious ... well it does when you know the NMR facility is done there, with instruments worth a couple of million dollars! So when they called for help, a bunch of people went downstairs quickly, took of shoes and socks, waded through ankle high water and helped moving the endangered equipment of the floor onto an elevated position. Hope to get some pictures of it, then I will post them here.

Final words: did that storm cool off Madison? No, of course not! It's still friggin' hot and muggy here! Waiting for the next storm ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what the hell ... it's definitely worse than those bad floods in KN. Hopefully the NMR-machine is not hurt that much!!!

5:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! This natural recent lake in your new town looks scary!!
From my part, I had 8 wet days not because of inundation!!! but Aegean see ;)) To be over the see makes me feel alive, and as I am back in your ‘favorite’ city, you can understand why I appreciate this so much!
Take care,
Silkworm ;)

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home