A tall redhaired german moving to Madison, Wisconsin? Now that could develop into an interesting story, ay?! Any resemblance of the blog title to movie titles is fully intentional :)

Monday, July 30, 2007

LASIK-surgery

... went well, very well actually. Post-operative examination of my eyes showed that I have perfect vision on my right eye and almost perfect on the left (US-terms: 20/20 on right and 20/25 on left ... whatever that means!?).
Can recommend the procedure to everybody: it's fast, pretty much painless (at least for me) and almost no recovery time needed (although that also varies from person to person).
A little description, how it worked for me: had to come in at noon, without having eaten for 4h, for a better uptake of the sedative. A nurse went thru some forms/legal stuff and then handed my the 100 mg valium. After swalloing that, I was lead to a waiting area, where I sat for about 20-30 mins and got numbing eye-drops every ten mins. In the operating room I laid down got a patch over one eye and a clasp in the other eye, that prevented me from closing it. A disinfectant around my eye, more eye-drops, then a suction ring was placed on my eye and some buzzing and vibrating. That was actually when a hinged flap was cut into my cornea, the part that I was afraid of most ... and I didn't even realize what was going on. The suction ring was removed and the surgeon "rolled" the flap back. From then on everything is blurry, but I could still easily see the red dot, that one should "focus" on. The laser came on, some flickering and a smell like burned hair :D After 20-30 sec the laser was turned off, the surgeon put the flap back on, smoothed it down with a sponge, more eye-drops, clasp removed and patch changed from one eye to the other. Same procedure on the second eye. In total the surgery didn't take more than 5-10 minutes for both eyes.
Got some plastic eye shields taped over both eyes and then lead outside, where one of my flatmates picked me up. At home I made a pizza (from the freezer, yeah well) and went to sleep. My eyes were burning/scratching a little, but not too bad.
When waking up after 4h, I removed the eye shields ... and was totally amazed. Clear vision, without anything in front or in my eyes. Started with the eye drops that I used now for 5 days. Of course I still can't rub my eyes, must be careful with sports and must not swim for another week, but that's all the discomfort that I had to "suffer" so far.
... and every morning I wake up with a big smile, cause I am still amazed about the surgery and it's outcome. It's fantastic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home